After you download it follow these instructions:
1. At the terminal: Type:
2. Enter the root password.
3. Change to the directory in which you want to install. Type:
cd <dir name>
For example, to install the software in the /usr/java/ directory, Type:
Note about root access: To install Java in a system-wide location such as/usr/local, you must login as the root user to gain the necessary permissions. If you do not have root access, install Java in your home directory or a subdirectory for which you have write permissions.
4. Change the permission of the file you downloaded to be executable. Type:
chmod a+x jre-6u<version>-linux-i586-rpm.bin
5. Start the installation process. Type:
This displays a binary license agreement. Read through the agreement. Press the spacebar to display the next page. At the end, enter yes to proceed with the installation.
6. The installation file creates jre-6u<version>-linux-i586.rpm file in the current directory.
7. Run the RPM command at the terminal to install the packages. Type:
rpm -iv jre-6u<version>-linux-i586.rpm
8. Java is installed in jre1.6.0_<version> sub-directory under the current directory. In this case, Java is installed in the /usr/java/jre1.6.0_<version> directory. Verify that the jre1.6.0_<version> sub-directory is listed under the current directory. Type:
your output would resemble the one below .